Monday, April 4, 2011

Home Gardening...

Two weeks ago, we did the preparations then shopping. I urged Travis to do his thing because I know he loves gardening so much. He adores nature like he adores me... with gentleness, nurturing, and kindness. We decided to pick our own plants and seeds. We chose different places on where to plant our vegetables and herbs. No flowers yet... We are going to check out a good place in Durant where they sell nicer and cheaper flowers. You have no idea how excited I am.

The first bloom of spring in our yard. Isn't she gorgeous? Just the perfect color that I love!

I hope you can see the rose buds too from this photo. I can't wait to see this rose bush in full bloom. I was told that this rose bush was planted by Sherman, Travis' late grandfather. He also planted all the trees around us now... cedar, oak, etc... I guess I knew now where Travis got his passion. 
 



My husband made his garden beds near the big old shed, along the driveway, because it has bigger space and away from the big trees (not away from Kaeleth though). He and his dad planted some vegetables such as cucumber, tomatoes, jalapeno, green bell pepper, yellow bell peppers, and onions. 






I love the way Travis made his beds because it was carefully and passionately made. They need to put some fence around it to keep away our dogs and other wild animals.

Last year, he planted some melons but the mules ate them and that broke his heart. Now he is so particularly careful with his new ones.  So he made his beds near our bedroom so that he can see them every morning when he wakes up. The other reason for that is because the ground is full of sand, not soil. Not beach sand, but old sand from their old swimming pool (during his childhood days). He said the mules won't have the chance to bore a hole under the sand. Smart guy, eh?!  Beside the melons, he made me a garden bed for my strawberries because I love them. 



You may wonder why there are dry leaves on the melons bed. Travis said it is something about fertilizing it. I forgot what "m" word was that he said. Look at that strawberry of mine! It got the color already. 

My part of a home gardening is at the back porch, outside my laundry room and in front of the kitchen window. I am into herbs so I started my herbs with this commercialized all-in-one bed. I wanted to start with seeds and not from the nursery. I got me an oregano, chives, parsley, and cilantro. 






I know it will take awhile for my herbs to show some leaves but I love the challenge of patience. It needs to stay in-door to keep away from direct sunlight for now. Travis planted a cilantro and strawberry in pots so that I can grow them at the back porch. I am so happy! 




In a few weeks we are going to shop for more herbs and flowers. We just need to do this step by step. It is not easy as how it looks. Gardening needs patience, tolerance, hard work, and lots of bending... oh, yes! There were muscle aches the following morning. Well, we both need the exercise that we have been planning for. Gardening costs a lot too. We spent more than a hundred only on plants and soil. The most expensive ones are the strawberries. 

This is it! We just need to wait and see. Happy gardening everyone! Plant wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment